Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blimy it's cold!!!


Ahh- the magic of space heaters...
And how amazing it is that an area that is insulated by all but one wall can get so cold.  Okay, I know that the weather in Georgia doesn't get that cold. (We moved from upstate New York (almost Canada New York last year).  I understand that cold is walking out side and your boogers freeze instantly. (Interjection here again- WE HAVE KIDS AND BOOGERS ARE PART OF OUR FREQUENT VOC.) 
That knowledge of coldness is cast aside when you are operating a piece of cast iron in 40 and 50 degree weather.  Your hands get cold, your nose starts to drip...
    My lovely knitted cap (slouched hat, or as my husband says with a shudder "Beret") becomes a necessity.
And I want to laugh and I say to myself "but it's Georgia, it's the south.  This isn't cold.  I have seen -35 weather, I have shoveled four feet of snow, I have walked the dog during lake effect snow!"
   Am I getting soft?  This semi-cold.  (Cold without the wonderous magic of snow. ) How can this be cold?
Why have my fingers quit moving like they should?  My hands stumbled and my fingers are slow to respond.  This is not good when operating a 1200lb press.  My motor chugs along and I finally have to stop it.  I am afraid of losing a finger in the press as it closes.  I have to stop and warm the hands. 

Georgia!


The space heater laughs as it pumps warm air in my direction. It sends it off and before it reaches my work area it is absorbed into the cold. I need that warm air, Mr. Henry needs that warmth.  Because unfortuantly, ink needs a certain temperature.  Too cold, not good.  I have heard that it is recommended not to print when the temperature is under 60. 
And there are rummors that in the old days small candles would be placed under the ink disk to help warm up the ink.
(I just don't like that idea one bit)
My composing room and studio is heated and wonderous.  But poor Mr. Henry still rooms in this unheated space.  One day...

Until then- I knit knowing that I am putting on a fashion show for Mr. Henry.  (I think he likes bright berets.)
And also- I know all too well that summer comes quick and hard to Georgia.  Hot and humid.

By the way the hat is from a pattern by Lucy Sweetland called Anemoon and is currently one of my favorite hats.

No comments: